Antigua and Barbuda says it is not prepared to accept more than the initially agreed number of Third-Country Nationals from the U.S

The Antigua and Barbuda government says it is not prepared to expand the number of third-country nationals it agreed to accept under an arrangement with the United States, despite requests from Washington for additional intake.
Director General of Communications Maurice Merchant said discussions between the two countries are ongoing, but the Gaston Browne administration remains committed to the original terms of the agreement.
Speaking during Thursday’s post-Cabinet briefing, Merchant confirmed that the United States had asked Antigua and Barbuda to increase the number of migrants it would accept under the arrangement signed last year.

“The original proposal by the United States government for a certain quantity of these individuals remains Antigua and Barbuda’s position,” Merchant said.
“The United States has requested additional numbers to be added. The Cabinet, the Government and Prime Minister respectfully advised the United States government that at this time it is not prepared to go beyond the original arrangements,” he added.
Merchant said Prime Minister Gaston Browne recently held discussions with US officials on the matter and had also asked Antigua and Barbuda’s ambassador to the United States, Sir Ronald Sanders, to continue engagement with American authorities.
He said the government remains willing to assist international partners, including the United States, but must also protect Antigua and Barbuda’s national interests.
“We are committed to assisting our partners internationally with the United States. However, the government of Antigua and Barbuda must also assist our partners keeping in mind its own interest,” Merchant said.
The issue resurfaced during the Cabinet briefing after a question was raised about regional discussions surrounding third-country nationals and recent comments by Sir Ronald Sanders on the matter.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]
Related News
WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo a global health emergency
PM Browne Says Recent U.S. Visit Disproves Claims of U.S He's Wanted in the U.S
Antigua and Barbuda To Screen Passengers, Prepare Infectious Disease Centre In Response to...







