Antigua Local News – Community, Events, St. John’s Updates | Antigua Tribune

Antigua and Barbuda To Screen Passengers, Prepare Infectious Disease Centre In Response to Global Health Concerns

21 May 2026
This content originally appeared on Antigua News Room.
Promote your business with NAN
Ebola

The Cabinet of Antigua and Barbuda has announced enhanced screening and surveillance measures for incoming travellers following the World Health Organization’s declaration of an Ebola outbreak in parts of Central Africa as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

During Thursday’s post-Cabinet media briefing, Director General of Communications Maurice Merchant said Health Minister Sir Molwyn Joseph updated Cabinet on steps being taken to strengthen the country’s preparedness amid growing global health concerns involving Ebola, hantavirus and malaria.

The announcement comes as the World Health Organization declared that the Ebola disease caused by the Bundibugyo virus in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under the International Health Regulations.

According to WHO, as of May 16, eight laboratory-confirmed Ebola cases, 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths had been reported in the Ituri Province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Two confirmed cases, including one death, were also reported in Kampala, Uganda, involving travellers from the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

WHO also raised concerns about suspected healthcare-associated transmission after at least four healthcare workers reportedly died in circumstances suggestive of viral haemorrhagic fever.

The developments prompted public concern in Antigua and Barbuda over whether sufficient safeguards were in place at the country’s ports of entry.

In a letter circulated publicly ahead of the Cabinet briefing, one resident called for clarification on what screening measures were being implemented and whether the government was considering any restrictions or additional precautions involving flights from affected regions. The letter also expressed concern about the country’s capacity to conduct specialised testing and manage infectious disease outbreaks.

Merchant said Cabinet was informed that the Ministry of Health has already begun upgrading operations within the Port Health Unit to facilitate enhanced monitoring and surveillance protocols at Antigua and Barbuda’s ports of entry.

“Currently, there is the hantavirus scare, the Ebola outbreak and also cases of malaria in various parts of the world,” Merchant said during the briefing.

Under the new measures, travellers entering Antigua and Barbuda will undergo expanded health screening procedures, including temperature testing and enhanced travel monitoring systems aimed at identifying potential public health risks before entry into the country.

Merchant said incoming travellers will also be required to disclose their complete travel history for the previous 21 days.

“This measure will allow health authorities to determine whether travellers would have travelled through countries where any of the identified viruses are currently prevalent and to ensure that the appropriate health protocols and precautionary measures are implemented where necessary,” he said.

He added that the Infectious Disease Centre is also being readied as a precautionary measure to ensure Antigua and Barbuda remains adequately equipped to respond swiftly and effectively should the need arise.

Merchant further noted that Cabinet commended the Ministry of Health for what it described as a proactive approach to strengthening healthcare systems in Barbuda alongside the broader public health preparedness initiatives.

Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]