Yearbook Photo Dispute at Antigua Girls’ High Sparks Policy Clash and Parent Meeting

Tensions are mounting at Antigua Girls’ High School after several fifth form students were turned away from their yearbook photo session over hair and makeup violations, prompting complaints from parents and intervention from the Ministry of Education.
Between 16 and 18 students were sent home on Thursday after arriving with hair extensions, false eyelashes and makeup beyond what the school permits. A memorandum previously issued to parents and students allowed only light makeup to cover blemishes and clearly prohibited extensions, weaves, wigs and braids. The same document also outlined graduation requirements, including attendance standards, submission of assessments, return of government-issued items and limits on major infractions.
Director of Education Clare Browne confirmed that ministry-approved rules governing government schools do not permit hair extensions unless exceptional health-related approval is granted. He said the limited allowance for makeup applied strictly to photography and did not represent a broader easing of school policy.
Parent Shamika Rose said about 10 parents went to the school after the incident but were not addressed by the principal and were instead escorted off campus by security. She also raised concerns about what she described as uneven enforcement, alleging some students were allowed to take photos while others in similar circumstances were not.
Responding to reports that affected students could be barred from graduation, Browne said any such decision would require formal approval and, based on the facts presented, would likely not withstand appeal if deemed disproportionate. He added that disciplinary measures must match the infraction and cautioned against interpreting statements made in tense moments as final decisions.
The memo also set graduation fees due by June 5. Rose dismissed claims circulating among parents that paid fees would not be refunded.
A group meeting between the principal and affected parents is scheduled for Tuesday, where officials are expected to determine whether students will be allowed to retake their yearbook photos and what, if any, further consequences will follow.
Advertise with the mоѕt vіѕіtеd nеwѕ ѕіtе іn Antigua!
We offer fully customizable and flexible digital marketing packages.
Contact us at [email protected]

Related News
MP Kelvin ‘Shugy’ Simon Says Culture Should Be Treated as Economic Industry After Supe...
Browne Calls for Reset in EU–Caribbean Trade Relations
Communiqué of the 112th Meeting of the Monetary Council of the Eastern Caribbean Central ...







